I am always amazed at the pure faith and love that radiates from children. My own little ones have been such a source of strength for me during this difficult time. They make me laugh, they give me hope, and they simply brighten my day! I don't know where my 5 year old boy learned this, but on the days that are particularly trying he'll come up to me and say, "Mom, I think you are so beautiful today." He then gives me a huge hug and tells me I make him special. (He's a sweetheart and a smooth talker already!!). My 2 year old little girl will throw her arms around me and say, "Don't cry Mommy, it's okay". With her in my arms I know that everything really is okay.
My little boy loves his grandpa so much and asks me every morning how grandpa is feeling today. His prayers have become more sincere and I know that he is praying and communicating directly with his Father in Heaven for his grandpa. He now prays that grandpa will get feeling better and that he will, "have the power of the gospel" or "have the power of the Holy Ghost". He also blesses grandma to, "have the power of strength". He struggles to articulate the way he is feeling, but I know that he is learning that there is power in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know his Heavenly Father is listening and hears the tender pleadings of a little boy who wants grandpa's cancer "to end" so he can get feeling better.
Dad is faced with a couple of difficult procedures in the next few days, so I have been asked by Mom to enlist your prayers and faith and the "power of the gospel" to help Dad get through it all. Tomorrow Dad will go in to have his tumor biopsied at the LDS Hospital. The process sounds somewhat painful as the doctors will have to insert a needle into Dad's back to remove a sample of the tumor. Dad's main Oncologist, Dr. Legant, has not ordered a biopsy previously because she does not believe that the results will change the way she has been treating the cancer and didn't want to subject Dad to another test. Mom feels, however, that the more information we have the more prepared we will be to fight whatever challenges come our way. Dad needs our prayers that miracles will happen and that he will be strong enough for the procedure to be a success.
On Monday, Dad is scheduled to have Dr. Bishoff place a metal stint connecting his kidney to the stoma to relieve his blockage. He will be under general anesthesia and the process is kind of tricky. The doctor feels that if he can fit a metal wire into the blockage he can then open it up with a balloon and place the stint. If not, Dad will have to continue on as he has been with an exterior drain from his left kidney down to a bag on his leg that needs to be flushed and changed and requires a lot of care. Mom is hoping that if the stint is successful it will take away some of Dad's abdominal pain and he'll be able find more lasting relief and resume somewhat of a normal life.
Miracles happen and I truly believe that the powers of Heaven have been and will continue to be with our family. Mom has asked that we participate in a family fast on Friday, and would like those who are available to attend the temple this weekend and place Dad's name on the prayer roll. Dad will receive a Priesthood Blessing tonight and I know that it will strengthen him and prepare him for these procedures.
I know that families are forever and that as we unite our faith, the power of the gospel will indeed get us through the next few, but difficult, days.
Thursday, June 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Darcelle!! I wish I would have read this earlier. We will definatly include you dad in our fast tomorrow! We love you. You and your family are in our daily prayers.
ReplyDelete