Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gifts of the Spirit

I have felt somewhat overwhelmed at the daunting task of updating the blog on Dad's condition since my previous post. Volumes and volumes could be written about the events that have transpired over the last 5 days. To say that we all have hit a point of emotional exhaustion would be an understatement. I told my husband yesterday that if there ever were a day for peanut butter M&M's, that would have been it! Yet, today, we were hit with more "news" (and consequently, more M&M's!).

Last Friday, the day of the scheduled biopsy, we got a phone call early in the morning. I really should have known better, it is never a good thing when the phone rings first thing in the morning. Mom called and asked that we cancel the biopsy, Dad had a bad night and she was taking him to the emergency room at the American Fork Hospital. They chose AF because Mom felt that the extreme pain that Dad was experiencing was not cancer related and she wanted to be under the care of her Internist, Dr. Von Welch. Suffice it to say that Friday was a difficult day. A small bowel obstruction was discovered and it was determined that Dad would need further "observation" to determine the course of treatment. The hope was that the obstruction would heal itself and that no further course of action would be needed. One of the most beautiful tender mercies occurred on Friday, however. Mom said that for the first time in days--maybe even weeks--Dad was resting peacefully and wasn't in a lot of pain.

Over the next couple of days, the staff at the hospital took wonderful care of Dad. They were aware of and completely on top of his pain medications and anticipated his next wave of pain before it happened. On Sunday night James and I went to visit Dad and he was looking so great! His pain was being managed and he was able to eat a popsicle earlier that day. He was even excited to watch the Lakers v. Celtics game on TV. (Thankfully the Celtics won, which I'm sure boosted Dad's spirits!) Dad was scheduled to be released on Monday morning so that he could still make it to his surgery with Dr. Bishoff to have his stint replaced, but plans had to change once again. Dad had spent the better part of Sunday night vomiting and it was determined that his obstruction (although small) was still there and his condition was not improving. Apparently, he also contracted VRE--a hospital borne, antibiotic resistant "superbug" sometime during his stay as well. It was decided that Dad would be transferred from the American Fork Hospital to the IMC Hospital where Dad's team of Urologists, Oncologists, Surgeons, etc. etc. could care for him.

Dad was admitted to the IMC Hospital on the 8th floor in room 815. Ironically enough, the last time he was at IMC (exactly 3 weeks ago--to the day!) he was on the 9th floor in room 915 and the view from his window is the very same. It feels very deja vu! After waiting hours for the doctor to come in and assess Dad's needs so orders could be written for pain medications (again, very deja vu), Dad had to tell his story--once again--to another doctor. The doctor came into Dad's room and said, "So, can you tell me a little bit about what's been going on?" I almost laughed out loud at how ridiculous the question sounded!! Dad simply closed his eyes, he was in much too much pain to even answer and told Mom to field the questions for him.

At that moment, I witnessed something pretty amazing. I believe what I witnessed was a Gift of the Spirit. Mom was absolutely incredible. She was so poised and competent, she knew the answer to every question asked. She was eloquent and capable and explained every pertinent detail of Dad's medical history in a concise and almost poetic way. She knew the name of every prescription Dad had ever been given and when he had taken them last and how many milligrams and how often he was taking them. She even knew what side effect each medication had on Dad. She was determined. She told the doctor that the reason they were there was so that Dad's pain could be diagnosed and that they weren't leaving until they had answers. She was bold and said that the family was through with sitting by and "observing" Dad in the amount of pain he was experiencing. I sat back in awe. I have always been in awe of Mom and her ability to handle each and every situation thrown her way, but last night was just amazing. I know that as a wife and a loving companion she is being filled with the spirit and given the inspiration, strength, knowledge and power to help direct Dad's complete care. I believe it is a gift of the Divinity of Womanhood, to nurture and love and discern the things that need to be done. Words cannot adequately describe how truly wonderful and gifted she is.

I know that Mom's love and determination has played a part in the latest development. When I called Mom on the phone tonight she said, "Dad has something that he needs to tell you". I just went silent, I was so scared. Dad was too weak and in a lot of pain, so Mom got back on the phone and told me that they were considering surgery. A team of three surgeons came in today and met with Dad. They explained to him that his condition has remained in the status quo. His obstruction is still present and his condition is not improving. They explained that the next probable course of treatment may include surgery to remove the obstruction. Surgery is such a scary thought because of how complicated and fragile Dad's condition is but it may be the only way to help his pain right now.

Dad was able to talk on the phone again and it was then that I heard in his voice another tender mercy and Gift of the Spirit. Dad told me that when the surgeons left his room, he prayed mightily to his loving Heavenly Father. He told me that he feels that there is still a work for him to do on this earth and that he prayed that he would be able to do it. He told me that he felt at peace at the prospect of having surgery and that he believes it may be the answer to taking away his pain so that he can finish that which he was called here to do. I believe that Dad has been given an amazing gift of faith and of the power to be healed. His ability to endure and overcome any and all obstacles with a glad heart and a perfect brightness of hope is truly remarkable. He has been through so much, yet his faith is so strong. I am so grateful to be his daughter. I will always be grateful for how much he loves my mother and for his example of unwavering faith and endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment