Saturday, July 24, 2010

We Ah-lways Watch the Fireworks...

Over the past 5 or 6 years, one of the major highlights of our summer has been the annual Ericson BBQ and fireworks show over the Pioneer Day weekend. The city of Bountiful puts on an amazing fireworks show that as it just so happens, you can see perfectly from Debbie's front yard. I'm pretty sure she even cut down a beautiful tree in her front yard just so the fireworks would be more visible!! This fireworks show rivals any of the 4th of July fireworks in the state and it is just incredible. Our family looks forward to this fun BBQ and time to spend with extended family all summer. Aunts, Uncles, and cousins all come together and rearrange travel plans just to be together at the Ericson home on July 23rd each year.

Last night the BBQ and fireworks show were extra extra special because Dad was well enough to be there. As I thought more about the significance of Dad being there, I remembered that at last year's BBQ, Dad was really sick. At that time we had no idea how serious his condition was or that we were just beginning a long process of diagnosing and struggling through illness with Dad. All we knew was that Dad was sick and needed to go home early. As a matter of fact, I think we even took him to the Emergency Room at the VA Hospital that night. It's kind of difficult to think about all that he's been through over the past year. He's so strong and has such faith through adversity. He is such a great example of perseverance and determination.

Dad spent most of last night inside on a very comfortable chaise lounge in the front room. We each had a chance to sit with him and talk with him as we worked our way through the delicious food that had been prepared by the family. Dad was even able to take a few bites of the food too. Dad was determined to go outside and watch the fireworks with us all. Debbie had set out chairs in her front yard and everyone helped Dad out front as the fireworks started. About half-way through the fireworks I was able to find a seat near Dad and I just watched him as he looked up at the fireworks. His face reflected the beautiful lights of the fireworks as they burst out in blues, greens, reds, and purples. I sat in wonderment and I have to admit that I couldn't fight back the tears. I don't know if I was overcome with the beauty of the fireworks, or if it was the fact that I got to watch them with my Dad, or if it was not knowing if Dad would be able to be at the next Pioneer Day fireworks show, but I just couldn't contain myself and I just cried. I was grateful that it was dark and that no one could see me blubbering about how much I wanted that very moment to last forever. If I could only capture that moment in time and preserve it forever. If only time could stand still. It sounds so silly but I will forever cherish the memory of that simple fireworks show.

No comments:

Post a Comment