Calendar shopping is one of my very favorite things to do at the end of each year. I love to look for calendars that are both inspirational with quotes or pictures of the temple and calendars that are beautiful. I hang my calendar in the kitchen and I see it and draw strength from it's message daily. It just so happens that the picture for the month of May has a beautiful yellow tulip with the scripture in 1 Nephi 1:20, "...behold I will show unto you the tender mercies of the Lord". After a very long, emotional, and stressful day, I can honestly say that I witnessed the tender mercies of the Lord today.
Let's begin with the stresses of today... Dad was supposed to have his bone scan done at the Riverton IHC Hospital this afternoon. As I was driving to the hospital I got a phone call from Mom that said to cancel his appointment at Riverton and meet them at the IMC hospital. Dad was in too much pain (he was at a constant 10) to make it through the scan. He was immediately admitted to the IMC hospital on the 9th floor of the Patient Towers. He's on the Medical Oncology floor and it really is a lovely floor with large rooms and even a pull out bed for Mom to sleep on. Anyway... the first few hours he was there were simply excruciating to watch. The nurse was so nice and trying to help out as much as she could (although she was wearing UofU scrubs which I'm sure was aggravating Dad's condition...J/K :) But, her hands were tied. She couldn't give Dad any pain medication until his doctor faxed over orders for it first and she was getting conflicting messages from Dad and Mom about the level of pain Dad was experiencing and what medications he could take, and then they couldn't place an IV to administer any drugs. Dad asked for a phlebotomist up front to place the IV, but the nurse said that the "proper channels" were for her to try, then the charge nurse, and then the Supervisor. Finally after over two hours, three tries, and no pain medications, the ER phlebotomist came and placed his IV --in about 5 seconds!! Can we all just agree that the healthcare system really sucks?? Even after the IV, there was no relief in sight! Dad's pains in his stomach were still constant and at a 10 and he was getting really frustrated, wondering why he had to be in the hospital and why they couldn't figure out how to make the pain in his stomach go away! Dad was simply doubled over in pain and my heart was literally breaking. I kept praying and praying for some sort of help for him and then the Lord granted me a glimpse of His love and tender mercies.
I watched Mom caring for Dad, so loving and so concerned and trying so hard to make the nurse understand what Dad was going through. Mom got really frustrated trying to communicate with the nurse and had to "step out" for a second (do you all remember when Mom would go for her long "drives" when we were kids? -- it was kind of like that) But she couldn't stay away for long. Dad needed her. She came back into the hospital room and she had such a peaceful spirit about her. She was calm and happy and ready to be the strength and support that Dad needed. She walked over to his side and held him close to her and whispered gently into his ear, "I'm here for you. I'm going to sleep right over there on that bed, and I won't leave you. We're going to get through the night and have our tests done tomorrow and then we'll go home together". I witnessed something really pure and intimate and almost sacred. I witnessed over 51 years of being together in the beautiful bonds of love between husband and wife and best friends. Dad calmed right down and he was at peace. There isn't anything they can't accomplish together. Dad laid down in bed and was able to rest for a short time. Mom and Dad are eternal companions, they were sealed for time and all eternity in the House of the Lord and their love transcends all of the obstacles their mortal bodies will face in this lifetime.
The Lord loves our family and is wanting and waiting to show us His tender mercies.
No comments:
Post a Comment